Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. (1st Thessalonians 5:18)
It’s easy to forget . . .what you have before you every single day.
I think everyone knows that they should be thankful for everything they have. The real test comes when you are in a circumstance where you don’t see a reason why you should be thankful. In fact, it’s when you feel like your circumstance looks like a massive inconvenience in your life that you must make a choice. Thankfulness is not just a feeling; it’s an attitude we are to have all the time.
"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." - G.K. Chesterton
The Bible says "Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus" (1st Thessalonians 5:18). Everything does happen for a reason. God wants us to trust Him and Thank Him in every situation we come across. Why though? Because God is Good and “we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28). If we are in a circumstance or situation, it’s a part of His purpose. God will work out everything for our Good. It may not happen right away, and it may come with some trials, tribulations, persecutions, and bumpy roads to get there, but we have to trust Him.
"Yes, give thanks for "all things" for, as it has been well said "Our disappointments are but His appointments."" - A. W. Pink
The real question then is “why” should I be Thankful in the midst of tough situation? Because You know the future. You know how things will end. God has told us, that the Future for us is Good despite all circumstances. And because we know the Future, we know that in the Present moment God is working for our Good. You don’t have to always feel “Thankful,” but instead allow your frustration to lead you to believe that God is going to work it out for you. This will give you some Hope. Hope is simply an earnest expectation of what is coming, and keeping our eyes on that will always give you a reason to be thankful. As God is working it out for Your Good, here are somethings you can do to cultivate a thankful heart in all circumstances.
- Always look for a Positive in a Negative. We don’t live in pain free world. Once you accept this, then when painful circumstances come it’s easier to see the positive opportunities in adverse situations.
- Except every circumstance as a part of Gods plan to make you better. If you go into things with this mentality, it will help you see what God is doing, and what you should be learning.
- Don’t forget about the Essential and Basic needs you have in your life. It's important to remember what is necessary to live, like food, clean water, and a roof over your head. We can also remember what a privilege it is to have certain luxuries like having a car, a job, A/C, and even your health.
- Listen to worship and sing songs to the Lord during your troubles. It will help lift your spirits and usher the Lord’s presence more tangible. You will need those kinds of intimate moments and touches from the Lord when circumstances seem rough. "Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!" (Psalm 95:2).
- Be careful though. It’s easy to become cynical when an inconvenient circumstance comes around, but we must remember that we are not to engage with “Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes--these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. (Ephesians 5:4).
My prayer is that you experience a Thank Full Heart during unexpected and unwanted situations occurs, and that you embrace it knowing that this is an opportunity for you to look to God for His Goodness.
"Thanksgiving is the language of heaven, and we had better start to learn it if we are not to be mere dumb aliens there." - A. J. Gossip